Isolation Option

Homepage Forums Offense – Running Game Isolation Option

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Coach Kwik Coach Kwik 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hangman
    Hangman
    Keymaster

Does anyone have any experience with Isolation Option? It’s a double option of the EMLOS off of an ISO fake out of the I formation. Instead of option off the fullback dive fake you have option off a tailback ISO with fullback lead blocking. I think it would hit slower than off the fullback dive action but still sounds interesting. Seems like running ISO off option action could be effective, like the jet sweep action we see Iso ran off of so much now in college and pros. Any thoughts?

Profile photo of Lucky
    Lucky
    Keymaster

i don’t know that you could read it effectively from the I. the QB footwork on ISO has his back turned to the line of scrimmage….

Profile photo of Jeremiah Howard
    Jeremiah Howard
    Participant

Is this like a freeze option?

Profile photo of Hangman
    Hangman
    Keymaster

Good point, but what if you had the QB open up playside? I’ve seen plenty of teams run ISO with playside open up. I believe belly option uses reverse pivot too correct?

Profile photo of Hangman
    Hangman
    Keymaster

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Profile photo of Jeremiah Howard
    Jeremiah Howard
    Participant

I am not 100% however if it’s anything like belly option i can help. Which would mean its not a triple read and any read would be after then dive/iso/belly

Profile photo of Coach Kwik
    Coach Kwik
    Participant

Iso Option is a double Option. I’ve seen it run from the Slot I, as shown above, the Power I, and we ran it from a Full House Wishbone.

From the Slot I, the Slot goes in deep orbit motion and the ball is snapped when he gets to the backside guard. He then runs the pitch route.
    The QB reverse pivots and fakes to the TB. (TB is expected to make a great fake and get tackled!)
    QB will end up about 1 yard in the backfield, he does not gain depth like he might on a true ISO handoff. Because you are reading the DE or corner, the reverse pivot is not a problem. We used to reverse pivot on our Counter Option from the SBV, too, makes no real difference.
    The FB leads thru and takes on the ILB.
    Center blocks on PSG blocks on, down (I have seen this diagrammed with the guard pulling and blocking force-we didn’t do this)
    PS Tackle blocks on The fake inside of him makes this a very easy block
    TE releases outside to block the CB
    QB reads the EMOLS for keep or pitch.

From our Bone the only thing we did differently was to have the TE hook the DE (should be easy with the inside fake) and we pitch off of the CB

Profile photo of Hangman
    Hangman
    Keymaster

Thanks Kwik! How effective of a play is it? We are a 9-10 year old veer team. Primarily split backs, but we ran midline and ISO from I. Potentially looking at running more out of I or flexbone next season because we will have power runners that wouldn’t make good pitch backs and vice versa.

It worked ok once we established the ISO. It wasn’t a mainstay, rather a change-of-pace play. Since we weren’t anything resembling an option team, we were a power Bone team, it was a good change up…maybe 2-3 times per game.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Hangman Hangman.

Profile photo of Coach Kwik
    Coach Kwik
    Participant

Having strong power backs never stopped me when I ran the Veer. What got me away from that was not being able to find a Veer QB every year…thats the key

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.